Monday, January 31, 2022

WUSS


 I'M GOING TO SHARE something with you. I've always been shy. Oh, STOP laughing! I mean it. Stop. Take my word for it. It's true. I just decided, as a child, not to let it determine my life. I read all the books through the years, and gradually learned to feel the fear, and do it anyway. As a young artist (I was 19 when I started my career), I would envision tucking Fear under my arm, my constant companion on adventures. I thought he would eventually go away but, no, he's been tagging along for 50 years now.

I MADE RULES. I promised to follow them.

1) NEVER WAIT A TABLE. I wanted no jobs to fall back on when art didn't sell. It almost happened once, but a friend stopped me. Thanks Trish.

2) THE ANSWER TO ANY SPEAKING INVITATION IS ALWAYS YES. When asked to teach a 1-hour class to 25 1st-graders, I stressed for 2 weeks. When my 9-year old daughter said, "Mom, they are only 6 years old. What could happen?", my response was "I could die!" When being filmed once while working on a mural for foster kids, I got flustered and swallowed my words. Upon viewing the film, I was so relieved to see that it looked like I was choked up because I cared so much for the children.

3) ALWAYS LOOK LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. When asked if I could paint a landscape mural of Sequoia Park, I said, of course- right up my alley. After signing the contract I called Ron Stivers, took him to lunch, and asked him how to paint a landscape. It would be my first.

I TURNED 70 this month, and I can say I have kept all 3 promises all these years. What a journey it's been, and what fun. Scary, stressful, challenging...EVERY SINGLE DAY (for a wuss). But what fun.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Nadi! NOW I understand why I was (and am) drawn to you. You are my sister by another mother! This is my story too, except I haven't made or stayed true to any rules. I recently turned 70 too. Maybe it is not too late to make some...and keep some! Thank you very much for this post! Blessings on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a nice comment, LaurieJo. Are you on FB? Friend me so I can get to know you.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for sharing this Nadi. Your fierce determination in art and life have served you and all of us who love you and your art so well. Is this the first mural you shared above? Wow!

      Delete
    3. Thank you! It is my 2nd mural, first landscape. It was so scary, but i did it. :)

      Delete