Monday, April 18, 2022

8. Letters From Little Creek


 I LOVED my Nadi Co. business, but wanted to work less hours and try painting in watercolor. What I did was create more work hours, since I could only paint when the wood orders were completed. I came up with a calendar idea called Letters From Little Creek, monthly designs of a family of rabbits. I sold some of the paintings, and all of my characters became wood art. 

I DREAMED of selling a calendar. One day, I told a friend, Vickie, that I often visualize being way up high in a New York office, talking to someone on the phone about my calendar. We laughed, and she said I had better be calling her.

SO, I ACQUIRED an agent. As a reference, she gave me the phone number of Boris Valejo. You know- the king of fantasy art, the guy whose calendar hung on our kitchen wall each year! Oh my, I can't call Boris Valejo! What would I say? But I researched his art and read a book about him, and when I finally worked up the nerve to call, he said, "You must be very talented. She only represents the best." Yowza. I was on Cloud 9 for months.

MY AGENT DELIGHTED me with news that she had sold my art, but as a book first, then a calendar. Could I come to New York to discuss it. I did, landing on the 15th floor on 5th Ave, where I promptly called Vickie to yell into the phone, "I'm in New York!"

WORKMAN PUBLISHING worked on the project for 8 years, and finally let it go. The writers they hired didn't work out, and it never came together. I made some money, learned a WHOLE LOT, but, Oh Man, Boris Valejo said I must be very talented.


No comments:

Post a Comment