Tuesday, April 19, 2022

13. Facebook- 2013

 

WHEN MY PARENTS died, I inherited some money. I wasn't sure what to do with it, maybe put a down payment on a house. My art was selling, but every year it seemed I needed to refigure my marketing strategy. I knew I needed to become internet-savvy. So I made the decision to "invest in myself." Yes, I actually said those words. Six months later I was so embarrassed. I remember thinking I will NEVER tell a soul I said those words. Money went out each month to living expenses, and still nothing selling online. 

THEN, ON AUGUST 13, 2013, I set up a Facebook business page called Dog Art by Nadi Spencer. And 3 days later I was living a different life. It was crazy. My dog portraits were too low priced for the world market, and I started getting photos from people- so many that at 10pm I had to go home, I was so exhausted. I raised my prices 4 times by the end of that year. I was in a daze.

SINCE THAT TIME, I have painted 2,060 dog portraits, well over 100 breeds, often 1 a day for months. It's non-stop all year. I love it. Now I take Sundays off- to paint anything I want. 

I'VE ALWAYS BEEN dog crazy. In grade school they called me Dog Girl. Not nice back then. But now I make a living painting these furry friends. Facebook has made life so much easier, and SO much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment