Tuesday, April 19, 2022

14. Dynamic Lives- 2016


DYNAMIC LIVES is a special project that I have come to love. Inspired by the Matriarchs of the Three Rivers Woman's Club, it is a collection of transcribed oral histories of our village residents. The stories are recorded by volunteers for an organization, Aging in Community. It began in 2016, and, when I heard about it, I knew I wanted to take this opportunity to be allowed to paint their portraits.

FOR SOME REASON, no one wants to be painted. I rarely get portrait commissions. I love doing them, and you can't get better if you don't do it often. So I approached those in charge and offered, at no charge to them, to paint all the storytellers. My one stipulation was that only I get to do the portraits. They agreed.

I HAVE PAINTED 26 to date. I have lived in this town for 50 years and did not know well most of these men and women. Until I photographed them. I take around 300 photos for each portrait, holding my camera in my lap so it is not so obvious. They tell me about their lives while I take photos. One gentleman talked for an hour, and when I said "OK! We're done," replied "You took photos already?"

TWO BOOKS have been printed to date, each containing the life narratives of about 15 residents, along with my portraits, and 2 of my daughter Renny's watercolors. Everyone has a special story. I'm delighted to be able to add to them with a paintbrush.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment