Monday, April 18, 2022

8.5 Jostens Yearbook Co 1972 and 1992


JOSTENS YEARBOOK CO holds a special place in my heart. It became my place in the world both times I needed a hand with life.

IT'S 1971, I'm 19, married, living in a Visalia, CA apartment with my new husband, no job, no car. I apply for a job within walking distance at a jean manufacturing plant. I am told I am over-qualified and would probably quit before I got started. The work was hard. you were paid piece rate. I returned the next day to ask how long I would need to work for it to be worthwhile for them to hire me. I was told 1 year,  I agreed, and got a job. 

ONE YEAR TO THE DAY, I quit that sweat job, and now I owned a car. Jostens hired me as a table-top artist. I was home. However, I only worked for 2 years. We moved to Three Rivers. 

IT'S NOW 20 YEARS later, I'm divorced with 4 daughters, starting over. Hello Jostens, I'm back. I stayed this time, working only 4 to 6 months out of the year, for 20 years. I was the last of the table-top artists to work there. I did not want to be a graphic artist, and so it was time to go. My light table sits in my three Rivers Studio. But what I learned there (Photoshop, juggling family and work, how to be a team member) and the friends I made, are with me to this day.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment